The Pellet Fuels Institute is a North American trade association promoting energy independence through the efficient use of clean, renewable, densified biomass fuel. The organization exists to:
- create and represent the ultimate expertise in the residential and commercial densified biomass fuel industry and technology;
- coordinate and integrate the needs of raw material sources, equipment suppliers and consultants, fuel producers, appliance manufacturers and distribution entities;
- educate, disseminate and promote the ecological, economical and environmental advantages and benefits of densified biomass fuel technology;
- establish and maintain densified biomass fuel standards, and;
- provide information and technical support to facilitate the safety, efficiency, regulatory standards, emissions standards and test procedures specifically designed for densified biomass fuel technology.
PFI is comprised of nearly 100 member companies, including fuel manufacturers and equipment suppliers, as well as organizations representing non-profit, university and government sectors.
In 1985, PFI was incorporated in Minnesota as the Fiber Fuels Institute, an organization founded by a group of fuel and equipment manufacturers with the goal of advancing the biomass industry. The Fiber Fuels Institute later merged with the Association of Pellet Fuel Industries and formed the Pellet Fuels Institute. After forming an alliance with the Hearth Products Association, PFI moved to Arlington, Virginia in 1996. The organization has grown tenfold since its inception, which has given PFI the opportunity to expand its reach, including more extensive member services, a larger and more dynamic annual conference, increased opportunities for volunteer participation and greater opportunities to influence public policy at the state and federal levels.
PFI Membership is open to any organization that has an interest in the densified biomass industry. Historically, our membership has included fuel manufacturers, industry suppliers, including equipment manufacturers, testing labs, bag manufacturers, consultants, bulk handling equipment suppliers, manufacturers of pellet central heating appliances, and non-profit and government agencies.